For any SEO agency, marketing and selling SEO services should be second nature. After all, to be the SEO agency of choice for many businesses, it’s important that you know how to walk the talk.
That’s not always the case, though.
As agencies focus on operations, some put off marketing their SEO services until they realize they’re not getting enough business and exposure. Knowing how to market your SEO company can make all the difference between a rejected pitch and a client you’ll work with for life.
There’s no defined formula on how you can market your SEO service, but I’ll be providing the key steps to help you get started:
Table of Contents
1. Know What You’re Selling
When people think SEO, the first thing that comes to mind is rankings. Once you go into a conversation with prospects, it’s likely that the conversation will revolve around these questions:
- How do you rank websites?
- How long does it take to see website rankings?
- How is your strategy different from other SEO experts out there?
If you notice, most of these questions revolve around your expertise. That’s the first step in marketing your SEO service.
To market your SEO service, it should be clear that you’re an expert in your own right.
Every conversation or marketing message you push out should revolve around how and why your SEO service is invaluable to your prospect’s business.
2. Establish Your Brand
If you want businesses to trust you, they need to know who you are.
Start by developing the groundwork for your agency’s brand and what it stands for. You need to find your differentiator so you can establish a marketing strategy that leverages your agency’s strengths.
Here are a few pointers when establishing your agency’s brand:
- Value proposition: What will make customers choose your SEO agency from the rest? Some agencies market SEO services with affordability as their selling point, while others put their decades’ worth of track record to the front.
- Target clients: What types of clients do you want to service? Are you looking to offer SEO services for small businesses? Do you want to diversify your client portfolio and dive into enterprises? Knowing your target market gives you a more solid footing once you start to market your SEO services.
- Industry: Know which industry your team has the most experience with and use that familiarity to your advantage. Many successful digital marketing agencies tailor their services to suit the needs of their niche, be it small local businesses or dental offices.
Establishing your brand and niche lets you get the audience you want and allows you to help them in a way that’s most beneficial to them.
3. Work on Your Own SEO
We all know how the old adage goes. “Before you help others, you must first help yourself.”
Start with your own SEO. Strengthen your online presence following the best practices for web development and content marketing. Make sure you have an active presence on major social media platforms, like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Write SEO articles and send them to high authority sites to gain readership and establish your expertise. Post regular updates on your website and consistently engage with users when they ask questions about your services.
In short: put yourself out there.
Working on your own SEO not only provides you an edge over other digital marketing agencies, but also shows that your agency practices what you preach.
4. Become a Thought Leader
What exactly is a “thought leader”? According to Matt Sweetwood, a thought leader is an individual whose views on certain matters are considered authoritative and influential. People listen to thought leaders because they constantly have something sage and fresh to add to their skill of choice.
No one becomes a thought leader overnight. It takes hard work, creativity, and intense dedication to become a thought leader. You obtain credentials through education and experience while sharing what you know with others.
[perfectpullquote align=”right” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]It takes hard work, creativity, and intense dedication to become a thought leader. [/perfectpullquote]
As a digital marketing agency, one sure way to become a thought leader is to manage a blog. Shape your content around your brand’s niche and provide helpful advice to your readers. Talk about something new with every post and disrupt conventional thinking—but be sure to back up every claim with data and research. This positions yourself as a credible source for accurate information and, eventually, a go-to website for things that concern your area of expertise.
5. Gather Client Testimonials
For businesses who are looking for digital marketing services, Google suggests they first ask a digital marketing agency these three questions:
- What’s your experience in my industry?
- What’s your experience in my city/country?
- Do you have a portfolio of previous work and success stories from clients you have worked with?
Businesses want to see what you’ve achieved for your previous partners. This is where they can gauge your value and assess whether or not you’re the right SEO agency for them.
Save yourself the trouble of enumerating your credentials and cherry-pick the most relevant client testimonials beforehand. Doing so shows that you’re comfortable with the job at hand and that you’re highly capable of pulling their business up the ranks on Google.
6. Master Cold Emailing
Some SEO agencies overlook how to start a cold email in the grander scheme of things. To be fair, many ineffective emails end up ignored or deleted the moment they’re received. But that’s only because they aren’t doing it right.
The goal is to make your emails stand out. Avoid writing generic subject lines, like “We offer SEO services.” Trigger words and key sales phrases such as “Best Price,” “Earn $$$ Now,” and “100% Free” won’t work either. Instead, target your client’s pain points and feel free to get more creative and personal. Some good examples are:
- A New Content Strategy for [Prospect’s Company]
- Hi, [Prospect]. We heard you were looking for a little boost in your SEO.
- [Mutual connection] recommended we get in touch.
- An idea on how you could rank on Google – fast.
The thinking doesn’t stop at just the subject heading.
It isn’t wise to reach out to an entire contact list with one blanket email. Personalize your emails according to groups or subgroups as well as their specific needs. This gives you a much better success rate and more positive responses in no time.
7. Nurture the Relationship with Leads
Marketing doesn’t stop when a lead goes into your website and signs up for your service. In fact, that’s the beginning of their journey with your SEO agency. This is where nurturing comes in.
Why nurture leads? It’s simple – not all of them are ready to start an SEO project with you. Some prospects may only be shopping around and comparing rates from different SEO agencies. Others may need a little more convincing.
By nurturing your prospects, you’re guiding them towards every stage in the buyer’s journey. This involves providing them with content that’s relevant to their current needs and provides them with information about your solutions.
Pro-tip: What’s better than letting your software do the work for you when nurturing leads? SEOReseller Agency Pro’s Marketing Automation easily nurtures leads with features that turn website visitors into paying clients. With pre-built email an marketing templates, our tool is designed to get you customers even while you’re away.
Key Takeaway: Time to Put Yourself Out There
Marketing your SEO services is one of the whirlwinds you’ll face as an agency owner. Do it right, and you’ll eventually get a few leads in. Execute this with great planning and finesse, and you’ll soon find your agency on the path to growth.
- Know what you’re selling. Focus on the value of your service.
- Establish your brand. It pays to be different.
- Work on your SEO. Convince clients with results they can see from your own website.
- Become a thought leader and show your authority in the field.
- Master the art of sending cold emails.
- Keep the conversation going. Use a marketing automation tool to better nurture your prospects.
These are the basics, but if you wing them and establish a process of marketing your SEO services, you’re helping your agency take one step closer to success. And if you’re ready to take your SEO business to the next level, we’re here to support you.